Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Term, Here I Come!

Hello, friends! :)


I trust you all had wonderful Christmases and are entering the New Year with a healthy optimism.


Here is a picture from my snow-filled winter break:
(We named our snowman Phyllis. Snow is heavier than it looks! Vin did most of the heavy lifting on this one. I love having a big, strong little brother!)





I've just finished my first week of classes in the new term, and I'm really looking forward to them all. This term I've got Theory, Aural Training, Non-Western Music, and Cultural Traditions, along with all of my performance/lesson classes. I'm thinking about auditioning for the choir as well, but we'll see whether that is able to happen or not....I've never been in a real choir before! :) Not much is really happening yet, as it's just the first week. Usually the teachers just hand you a syllabus and throw out some introductory thoughts and ideas for the classes. They don't expect much from us yet, but that will change soon enough. I also have a lot of breaks in my schedule this semester. I've only got 13 credits because I tested out of piano again (thank you mom! :) ), so right now I feel like a slacker. I think practicing and rehearsals will start filling up those breaks soon. I'm also looking for a job, or to maybe find some students, so that will help, too.


I had a meeting with my advisor at the honors college, Nancy, this week. We were finally able to talk about my situation with all of my transfer credits to see how they would probably end up working out and approximately how many more terms it will take to get my bachelor's degree. She thinks I will probably be here for three more terms after this one is over....I think four, because I want to add a minor in business and I still have my junior and senior recitals to do. THAT is a scary thought....plus, I'm a little apprehensive about three or even four terms being enough time to really learn the craft of my instrument that I need to learn here.


It was so good to see everyone at UMSL again! I'm settling back into school life: getting back into my routine, getting back into my school mindset, getting used to being away from my family for a while again. I'm still acutely feeling the dichotomy of having two homes. It's odd for me to see the changes here even since last term...new people are in the dorms or in the strings department...some friends have transferred, or have decided to transfer in the fall. David, the second violinist from the Arianna, is having problems with his green card and can't work in the US this semester, so the strings department is shaken up a little for a few months. There are slight changes in the nuances of my friendships. A lot of my friends here have fairly large new developments in their lives. Conversely, when I am home in Oregon, people's lives have changed, yes, but somehow many, many things still feel........the same as when I left. I haven't figured it why or how that happens yet.


Well, that's it for now. I'm going to read my excerpt from Gulliver's Travels for my Cultural Traditions class. Please feel free to call or email me...I get lonesome for all you guys. :) Before I say goodbye, though, Mom, this one's for you:


Love always,

Maren

5 comments:

t.emerson said...

Oh my gosh I'm laughing so hard. GOOD, good times. One question though, about the pic...who's making out with Phyllis?

Maren said...

Hahahaha, that would be Olivia's best friend, Lindsey. She and Olivia together are a riot........I have plenty more pictures and stories to prove it. ;)

Joshua said...

Wow... That was something else Maren! I think I want to second your mom's question.

.shelli said...

hahahaha,

thats all.

Anonymous said...

Many would have the courage, the chutzpah, the sheer lack of self-consciousness and self-awareness to sing it, but how many would videotape themselves doing so and post it on the web where it could become a hit on YouTube? Only you! My admiration grows and grows.