I'm just finishing up my first week at school. Crazy, huh? I'll see you all in about 16 more, so don't fret. :)
Some of the highlights of this week:
- Seeing a real, live cardinal for the first time. It shocked me when this red THING flew up into the sky until I realized what it was! Hahaha...silly me.
- RAIN! It finally rained...It reminded me of Oregon, even though it was warm rain and still warm and sticky outside. It was a nice hearty thundershower, so we got some cool lightning to go along with the rain.
after this video was taken, I walked into the music building like a drowned rat to pick up my viola, and the music secretary, Roz, saw me in my bedraggled state and very kindly offered me a ride to my dorm. :)
- Realizing Missouri coffee can't top the Northwest's. I made the mistake of getting a cup of "Seattle's Best" coffee from the convenience store in the bottom of the dorm....it was way sketch. They definitely need a Stumptown, or at least some sort of real coffee shop.
- Exploring the Honors College building. It is an old convent/hospital thing made of brick...it's so cool and old. It has a chapel attatched and even a courtyard in the middle. Here's a picture of the courtyard from the third floor. The portion with the clock above it is the entrance to the chapel.

- I'm finally making real friends! Thursday I met a girl named Theresa and another girl named Cortney who's from California and we hit it off really well and got ice cream together (Josh, guess what kind I had!). This is a real praise as I had been feeling lonely and had prayed for some real friends the night before and morning of. He keeps reminding me that He's faithful and He knows what He's doing. Just rest and be patient and faithful, Maren. He really does love you.
I've also got a ride set up with one of the elders of New City Fellowship, the church I'm going to try on Sunday! They've been so generous and hospitable to me already....in addition to giving me a ride, they're also going to feed me lunch. I'm really excited to meet them and check out the church.


- Riding the Metro was not as scary as I imagined...I rode it just a few stops, since it was my first time, and it was pretty much just like the Max. Don't worry, it was in broad daylight and a friend was waiting on the other end for me. I'm still in one piece, I promise!
- My friend from Britt, Graham, and I hung out after attending a workshop on the SLYSO auditions. The information in the workshop was pretty much common sense, but hanging out with Graham was really nice. We had better coffee (still not Stumptown, but better than faux "Seattle's Best".....), he showed me some sights of the city, and he even took me grocery shopping! Graham, you're pretty rad. :)
There we have the first of my academic weeks in Missouri! I'm not dead (I think that's a positive sign....), and even though I miss you a lot, I'm not homesick, and I'm enjoying myself. It's quite an adventure! I'd love to hear from any of you if you want to write or call and tell me about the scoop in Oregon. :)
Grace and peace,
Maren

9 comments:
Maren!!
I loved that video.
It definitely made me smile and, for some reason, reminded me of our trek around Lithia park where we found that gargantuan rock.
I miss you!!
Love,
Your cellist, Katt.
You're doing a fine job keeping us all posted, and I really appreciate it. I know the feeling with the rainstorm. When I was at Wheaton I used to miss mountains and rain almost as much as I missed my family! I'm afraid I got a little silly one time and made a friend go for a VERY cold walk in the rain once - completely sans umbrella, of course! I thoroughly enjoyed the puddle jumping. My friend? Not so much. You have to remember that what works in Oregon doesn't necessarily work elsewhere. New rules for a new climate. :-)
Well, your mom had two big boxes nearly packed yesterday, and I added a few things before she sealed them up. Hope they make your year easier. The Tide-To-Go pen is a real clothes-saver. (Keep it in your pack! If you don't need it, someone else will. How to make friends...)
It got cooler here for a week or so, but yesterday it got up to 80 and today is supposed to be even hotter. Don't you wish you could be here to jump in the swimming pool with us? I do! I'll be thinking of you and our silly story when I swim today!
Blessings,
Aunt Sue
Aw Maren!! Your rain video is awesome! I pretended to give you a great big hug after I watched it. I would have gotten really wet. . .wait, been there, done that in the sprinklers, huh? You're the best! I'm glad you're making friends - that's one of the hard parts of moving somewhere, but it does get better. Love you!
~ Erin
Fifty bucks says it was Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream! Yeah, I'm right. Sounds like you are having your normal amount of crazy fun over there! I love the new color for this blog......so you. I can't wait to hear about the church!!!!
Keep the Faith – Joshua Knopp
maren! it sounds like you are having a wonderful time at college. i miss you a lot, so its great to know that you are comfortable and happy. and hey, guess what? i'm going to be in st. louis in about 5 days! maybe i'll see you around?
love,
Julia
Maren! You're helping me be confident that I'll be okay once I get to college too.
Say hi to the Arianna for me!
Miss you.
Robin
Maren!!! I miss you a ton!!!
Your video made me smile. :) I am so glad things are going well for you. Oh, and any church that offers food definitely needs to be given a chance. ;) lol
Take care, Im gonna miss you even more when OPAYCO starts up. Im praying for you.
Your brother and life stand partner,
Benjamin
haha maren! you think your hair is bad in humidity! imagine mine! :p OPAYCO's first rehearsal was yesterday! *sigh* it just wasn't the same without you though. you definitly need to spread the OPAYCO spirit! i'm going to be in tennessee over thanksgiving weekend for solo performance i got asked to do there!! i'm super excited! :D maybe if you're not going back home for thanksgiving, you could take a road trip with some of our britt/umsl buddies and come see me! :p
Maren,
You are having way more fun at college than I did. The good thing about college is that you are SO BUSY.
Hi from Ashland......
Post a Comment