I met my next two professors today. I have Aural Training with Professor Hylton at 8. She is really nice, and I think it will be a good class....just wait until I have some mad sight singing skills that I can bust out at parties. :) My other class is my honors college class. I'm in Junior Level Composition: Writing the City......whatever that means. I think we're going to write about topics that affect the city of St. Louis/big cities in general, but I'm not completely sure. Professor Hinton is my teacher for that. Oh man, she is a character. She walked in and told us all about herself...she is a younger woman, and is in the process of getting her doctorate. She also has a really great sense of humor. The whole dynamic of that class is really interesting, actually. Since it is an honors class, there are only about 15 of us in it. It makes it really intimate, and I think we're all going to get to know each other pretty well over the semester.
I also got to test out the practice rooms in the music building today. Alex (a cellist that I know from Britt) helped show me the ropes and answered all of my crazy questions. God has really prepared the way for me to be here....I haven't had any administrative issues, I already have friends here, I'm meeting people easily, my teachers and classes are great.....Everything is going better than I could ever have hoped for! Another praise: Stephen called me tonight and let me know about a Campus Crusade meeting that was happening! I got plugged in with them and I am really excited to get to know some other believers on campus and get involved in a Bible study.
I haven't seen any of the Arianna yet since I've been here, but I think I will see them Friday for the music seminar that everyone goes to. Joanna gets back in town next week, and I look forward to beginning to work with her.
I also got to explore the library today, which is huge (five floors...two of which are underground!) and beautiful. I think I'm going to begin exploring a couple random buildings every week until I get to know the campus better. It worked for CCC, and it's fun to find all the neat little study alcoves and quiet places.
One last thing.....outside is so noisy here! There are bugs in all the trees making noise....I think they're cicadas. Those are the ones that make the classic "summer bug" sound, right? I hear them and the crickets at all hours from my dorm window and on my long walks to and from the music building and north campus. I don't really know what they look like, so I think one of these times my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll end up climbing a tree and finding one. :)
I'll try to write again at the end of the week. I've got to read some music history! :) Hopefully I'll have more pictures or videos of my new haunts and friends. Let me know if there is anything you guys want to see specifically!
Love always,
Maren
PS: I got your card today, Aunt Sandy!!! Thank you so much! It made my day. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey Maren!
I'm so glad to hear that you are learning the ropes around campus so quickly! I was under the impression that there was no Campus Crusade at UMSL. It is really great to hear my understanding was incorrect. Let us know how that goes and what it is like.
Praying for you - Joshua Knopp
Hey, Maren. If you'd taken up the pipes, like your sister, you could drown out the cicadas! OK; you're better off with the viola! Take care, M
Thank you so much for doing this Maren, I can't tell you how much it means and how encouraging it is to see what God is doing, and as you said how He prepared the way for you.
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace."
I love you girl.
Your Sister in Him,
Lisa Michelle
Sounds like things are going well over there! We miss having you around here!
Post a Comment