Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pictures From the Capitol

Hey, friends. :)

On Wednesday I went on a tour to Jefferson City, Missouri's capitol, with SLSYO. I've toured the Oregon capitol building, and it was very cool to see what my other state's capitol is like and compare them. I took some pictures, and thought you might like to see them, too.

Here is Anne and I on the bus. It took about 2 hours to get to Jefferson City. The bus was very cold, so we decided to pout... Very mature. ;)



Here's the outside of the capitol building. It's very beautiful. I thought it was interesting that there is a statue on the top of this one, just like the one in Oregon....except this one isn't shiny and gold. :)




This is where they set up the orchestra to play. We were right under the rotunda, kind of below the governor's office. There wasn't a ton of space for our large orchestra...fortunately no one got their eye poked out by a renegade bow. ;)



Here's a picture of the ceiling in the rotunda....it was so beautiful!




This is another violist, Jennifer, and I standing across the street....the cafeteria was in another building, so we had to brave the stormy weather. We ran most of the way...at least, as much as our dress clothes permitted. :)


This is a picture from the floor of the House of Representatives. Stephen's mom works at the capitol, so Anne and I met up with her. She gave us a tour and let us on the floor so we could see it. The manager of the orchestra set up appointments with each of the orchestra members to meet with their respective sentators and representatives, so I had meetings with the senator and representative from UMSL's district. Unfortunately the senator was in a meeting, and the representative was in a meeting/was busy, so I never actually met either of them, which left me ample time to wander around with Stephen's mom, Anne, and other people from the orchestra.



That's the end of my capitol pictures....here's some pictures Bekah and I took later that night when we were fussing about.









Check out my hometown pride! Go Cougars! ;)
And here's a picture from last week when a bunch of us went to see the symphony. Renita and I decided we wanted to have bigger eyes. ;)



That's it for now.
Love,
Maren

3 comments:

RMT said...

Thanks for the pics. It was fun to see the capitol. I remember a very cold bus ride back to ND from Chicago. We had been at the Midwest Band clinic. Either the heaters in the bus quit working or it was just so cold they couldn't keep up. Either way it was one long miserable ride!

Anonymous said...

Well, now that the miracle has occurred (finding the camera ALIVE) I see you're making good use of it!

Aren't all school buses cold? It's a rule.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Had to leave you a link to this hat on Etsy. I so hope it will come through. If I ever get rich, I'm going to buy it for you! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16263412