Sunday, October 19, 2008

It's All Downhill From Here...Right?

This week marked the halfway point between my arrival here and my flight home for winter break. Unfortunately, that also means that my teachers expect more of me than just showing up to class. :) I had a theory exam on Monday that my study group was up late studying for. I had a draft of a paper due on Thursday that I spent all Sunday afternoon researching for. I also had a lesson on Thursday that I knew I hadn't practiced enough for. All of these things, plus the exhaustion that resulted, made for a...less than emotionally stable Maren. I stressed myself out much more than I needed to about these things that were coming due, and I felt like I was just running from one thing straight to the next the whole week. I have never really been homesick before, but that changed this week. I had a couple pretty big waves of just MISSING all of you. Wednesday and Thursday especially I had to wake up and pray while walking to class that God would give me enough strength for the day, because I couldn't do it emotionally. And He did. He gave me just what I needed each day to get through. Friends, He is such a good God! I think one of the things God has brought me here to learn is how to really depend and lean on Him. I have never been in so much of a position where all I really have to lean on is Jesus. When I look back at it, it doesn't seem like there was a lot that really went horribly this week, so I sound a little melodramatic to myself when I talk about it being awful. I was emotionally shot, however, and needed all the strength that He provided. :)
After Thursday afternoon was over, my academic week was pretty much over and I could breathe a little bit. I went to a house church from New City that evening, and even though I didn't know anyone there, it was nice to hear scripture and pray and thank God that He kept me intact through the week. After I came back from house church, I wandered into the knitting group that my friend Rebekah started last week. Her mom was there teaching a bunch of people how to knit, so after I wandered in, I sat down by her and learned, too. It was nice to just do something semi-productive and creative with my hands that's fairly repetitive. It's kind of soothing. I knew how to crochet before, but I left my hook at home and it's fun to have learned something new. Maybe this will be my new hobby. :)

Friday evening, I was in the cafeteria with Emily and Rebekah. After dinner, we walked out and Rebekah pointed to the room across from the cafeteria and asked me to come with her to a random conference that was taking place there. The conference was called "Bones Fest XII," and there were 10 to 15 older people from all over the country in the room. They were setting up booths, forming random jam sessions, and just talking. Apparently, the conference is all about the instrument called the rhythm bones. Basically they are two thin concave strips of wood or bone that you hold between the fingers of one hand. You clap them together in different patterns by flicking and rolling your wrist and arm in different ways. Rebekah and I were the only ones not involved with the conference who were checking it out, so we talked to some of the people and they gave us an impromptu bones lesson! Hahahahaha, it was so funny....they were all so nice, and we joined in with our mad bones/vocal skills for a couple of rousing choruses of "The Camptown Ladies" and "I'll Fly Away". I actually now own a pair of bones, so when I come home, just ask me and I'll break them out and you can give them a try. :)

The weather here is really turning now. The days are still clear and bright, but the air is always cool, and the wind has started to blow. I'm breaking out my sweaters and scarves and packing up my capris and sandals. The leaves are orange, red, and yellow, and I have fun crunching the fallen ones on the sidewalks. I think this week I'm going to try to go winter coat hunting. Here are the trees where I sit and wait for the Rice family on Sunday mornings.

Hmmmm...what else happened this week? Mom and Dad sent me a french press so I can now make coffee. I'm pretty excited about that. Graham took me to Laumeier Sculpture Park and we got to climb on some sweet sculptures. I got my last paper back (73/75) and my theory exam (54/58) so I'm feeling very happy about my academics. I have to start working on my music history research paper...I think I'm going to do it on the viola da gamba/viol, which oddly enough seems more like a cello or bass than a viola. Go figure, right? Emily and I had our first coaching on the Beethoven Eyeglass Duet, and it actually went pretty well. I played my solo piece in viola class on Wednesday, and I couldn't quite get some of the parts, but other parts are coming along better than I thought they were, so I'm encouraged by that, too. I'm doing a lot better...I'm back to my more chipper self, I think. :) I get so serious about things sometimes, and forget that a lot of life is better with a smile.

Hahaha, here's me during my paper writing process. I always get them done, but sitting down and just doing them is the problem. :) Sometimes when I need to look at something else for awhile, I play hearts on my laptop (whose name is Mabel, by the way). I renamed the people who I play hearts with. Instead of Pauline, whoever, and whatever the other one is, I play with my OPAYCO friends David, Stephen, and Josh! It makes it so much more interesting, and I get really competitive with the computer, actually. I still haven't won, though! I came so close the first time, but David beat me by two points. The second time, I went down with flames into last place with 113 points, and Josh whomped me with 17. It was sick. Fear not, though. I will yet triumph!
Here's a picture of Mabel's blank screen, and another picture of how I feel about writer's block:





Alright. The friend you guys get to meet this week is Matt. Matt plays guitar, and he's pretty boss at it. He's in my theory class, and he and Rebekah and my friend Josh and I all had a study group before our theory exam last Monday. Here is a picture of him being crazy cool and styling his facial hair into odd shapes:
Alright. I've got to run to quartet rehearsal now. Sorry this post was a little late. :) I love you all!
Peace,
Maren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the writer's block photo - I know the feeling! Sometimes it's just figuring out how to start that drives me crazy. I figured out that if I just start in the middle and write the intro later it works. Weird.

I love that you named your computer! You're such a geek. I thought it was geeky to name your car (my Saturn is named Orbit - hahahahahahahaha!) but naming your laptop? (Big eye roll)

Sad you were homesick, but inevitable at some point. I'm glad you're feeling better. CALL US! Or text me.

Love you!
Aunt Sue